Mitchell Recreation and Athletics Center
581
check-ins
Foursquare Mayor
David L.
Foursquare Mayor

Mitchell Recreation and Athletics Center

Established: 
1994
Current Use: 

The Recreation Center houses a state of the art 200 meter indoor track with balcony; four regulation tennis course; four competition squash courts; a strength room with free weights and Hammer Strength equipment; a fitness room with treadmill, stair, bike and rowing machines; a large multipurpose room with a hardwood floor for aerobics and other recreational activities; and networked classrooms.

History & Architecture

Mitchell was built by John Reid of Harden, Reid and Jahnes of Newark in 1994. The building is made of brick and stone, which is intended to blend with the structures already present in the Physical Education complex. The building is named for Louis A. Mitchell 1957, trustee and fourth generation Denison graduate, who was instrumental in funding the $7.3 million project. Mitchell was a star basketball player while attending Denison and was inducted into the Denison Athletic Hall of Fame in 1975. The Recreation Center houses a state of the art 200 meter indoor track with balcony; four regulation tennis course; four competition squash courts; a strength room with free weights and Hammer Strength equipment; a fitness room with treadmill, stair, bike and rowing machines; a large multipurpose room with a hardwood floor for aerobics and other recreational activities; and networked classrooms.

Athletics Quad
4b7da238f964a52033cb2fe3
The newly renovated and expanded Mitchell Center is a popular spot on campus. About 30 percent of Denison’s students compete in varsity athletics, and an equal number participate in club and intramural sports.
1div id="fulldescription-overlay">