DenisonBlogs How-To Guides
How do I add users to my blog?
There are two methods to add users to your blog:
- On the Dashboard, click on "Users," then click "Add New."
- Under "Add New User," type in the user's Denison username and e-mail and select a role for that user. It's important to use their Denison username and e-mail address. If you must use a non-Denison username and e-mail address, our system won't know anything about the user and will block them until you call the Help Desk to create an exception.
- Alternatively, if the user already has an account on another blog within blogs.denison.edu, you can use the Add Existing User form. This way you only have to type in the user's Denison e-mail address to continue.
- Ask your users to log in to your blog. Anyone with a Denison e-mail account can log in. This will automatically create a Subscriber account for that user.
- To change the new user's role, click on "Users" in your Dashboard. Click the "Edit" link under a user's name, then use the "Role" drop-down menu to set a new role (be sure to click "Update User" at the bottom to save your change).
What image sizes should I use for my blog header, footer logo, and in my post previews?
940 px (w) x 205 px (h)
Featured Image (Top of Posts):
490 px (w) x 218 px (h)
This is the image that shows up at the top of posts. If you use the Featured Image element, you'll have visually appealing photo headers at the top of your posts. More importantly, by using this image element, you'll set up sidebar modules like Most Popular Posts to use thumbnail images automatically. To make use of this feature, first create a new Post or edit an existing one. The bottom-right widget on the editing screen is titled "Featured Image" — click the "Set Featured Image" link to upload a new image from your computer (or select an already-uploaded image).
Post Images (Inside a Post):
490 px (w) x some height
These are images that you add inside the body of a post.
75 px (w) x 75 px (h)
For a great introduction on WordPress, check out the following:
If you want to know how to do things like add video, audio, and photos to your blog, please consult the following tutorials:
Writing a post
Editing a post / (Video) Tutorial
Playing with fonts / (Video) Adding bold, italic, color
(Video) How to insert an image and make it a link
(Video) How to upload and link to a pdf
Adding a Twitter widget
Adding a Flickr widget
How to embed a youtube video