Dr. Kennedy earned a B.A. in Communication Arts from the University of Wisconsin-Madison and her M.A. in from Ohio University’s School of Telecommunication. She worked for National Public Radio in Washington, DC for several years before returning to graduate school. She received a Fulbright to conduct her dissertation research on telecommunications policy in Southeast Asia, completing the PhD from Ohio University in 1990. Dr. Kennedy taught courses on the US and international communication industries, as well as service-learning courses related to US social issues. She was tenured in Denison’s Communication Department, which she then chaired for six years. From 2002-2007, Dr. Kennedy served as Dean of First-Year Students and from 2007-2010 as Director of the Alford Center for Service Learning. She became Vice President for the Division of Student Development in 2010 and serves as a member of the president's senior staff.
Professional publications in Student Affairs:
- “More than a Hunch: Assessing and Evaluating a Medical Amnesty Policy’s Effectiveness.” (with Julie Tucker). OASPA/OCPA Annual Conference, January 30, 2014.
- “Structuring a divisional assessment model: To centralize or not?” (with Julie Tucker). Ohio Student Affairs Assessment Conference, Columbus, OH, July 2012.
- “Finding comfort with discomfort: Listening as an instrument of change.” (with Erik Farley and Natalie Pariano), ACPA Annual Meeting, Louisville, KY, March 2012.
- “Self-efficacy, self-appraisals and the freshman male experience: Implications for advising.” NASPA Annual meeting, Boston, MA, March 2008.
- “Meeting First-Year Students Through Their Work.” (Poster Presentation), Annual Conference on the First-Year Experience, Addison, TX, February 2007.
- “The past without the pain: The manufacture of nostalgia in Vietnam’s tourism industry.” with Mary Rose Williams, in Tai, Hue-Tam Ho (ed.), The Country of memory: Remaking the past in late socialist Vietnam. Berkeley: University of California Press (2002).
- “Vietnam seeks political stability and economic growth.” Media Development 42(1), 11-13 (January 1995).
- “Telecommunication.” In Jomo K.S. (ed.), Privatizing Malaysia: Rent, Rhetoric, Realities. Boulder: Westview Press (1995).
- “Communication development in Vietnam: The politics of planning.” Gazette 51(3), 219-253 (Fall 1993).