Interlibrary Loan (ILL) is the borrowing and lending of books and other materials between libraries. If Denison (DEN), CONSORT, or OhioLINK does not have the material you need, ILL will try to obtain it for you from another library. The responsibility of the ILL office is to locate materials for DEN patrons working on course-related projects. This service is not meant as a substitution for our own collections. ILL is primarily used to get copies of journal articles from journals that are not owned by Denison or available online.
Any DEN faculty member, emeritus, currently enrolled student, or currently employed staff person may place an ILL request. Special Borrowers, Licking County residents, and adults who reside outside Licking County but work in Granville should use local public libraries for ILL services.
The Interlibrary Loan now uses the new ILLiad service to place a loan. You can create a login and use the service by following the link below.
Materials not obtainable through Interlibrary Loans:
- Textbooks (books needed for an entire semester)
- Books owned by Denison, CONSORT, or OhioLINK
- Books that are part of the Library's Reference Collection
- Rare or fragile items, such as manuscripts
- Multi-volume sets, reference books, or genealogical materials
- Current-year publications
- Entire issues or volumes of periodicals
- Most audiovisual items (videos, CDs)
For more information about ILL, visit the Main (3rd) Floor of Doane Library in the Circulation Area, or contact Susan Rice.
How long does it take to get items?
Materials borrowed through ILL usually arrive within two weeks, but requests may take up to a month to be filled. If you need materials in less than two weeks, you should talk to a reference librarian about materials within the Denison/CONSORT/OhioLINK library system that may meet your needs.
The key to using ILL effectively is to plan ahead. Anticipate your borrowing needs and make your requests well before your project is due. If you are going to make many requests, it is better to space them out over a period of weeks so that they will not arrive and be due at the same time. You will be notified through campus e-mail or by a phone call when your materials arrive or if ILL cannot fill your request.
How do I request ILL materials?
- Before placing an ILL request, use the CONSORT library catalog and the OhioLINK catalog, as well as our Government Document Reference sources to make sure that our library, CONSORT, and OhioLINK do NOT own the item you are requesting. Consult the Interlibrary Loan Department (x6431), the Circulation/ILL Manager (x5711), a Reference Librarian (x6682), or the Circulation Desk (x6235) if you are unsure about an item's status.
- Complete the online ILL request form. Each ILL request must be filled out accurately and completely or the procurement process will be delayed. When requesting a photocopied article from a periodical, remember to note the source of your information in the "Where Citation Found" box of the request form.
- Click the submit button. You will receive verification that your request was sent. You may click "Request Another?" if you have additional items to submit. You will be notified through e-mail or phone when your material arrives OR if ILL cannot fulfill your request. Upon notification, materials can be picked up at the Circulation Desk.
Loan Policies / Restrictions on Loans
Photocopies are yours to keep. Average loan period is one month. Some restrictions, such as "IN LIBRARY USE ONLY" may apply. Any restrictions will be indicated on the bookband or bookmark.
The due date is posted on a yellow bookmark inserted into each ILL book. DO NOT REMOVE the bookmark. ILL books must be returned on or before the due date. If an item is recalled, return it to the Circulation Desk as soon as possible.
It is up to the owning (lending) institution to decide whether or not an item may be renewed. Some institutions offer renewal periods; others do not. If you need a book for a longer period of time, you should request a renewal as soon as possible. To do so, stop by, e-mail, or phone (x6431) the ILL Office. Only one renewal request per item is permitted.
Is there a charge for ILL?
Denison makes every effort to borrow from institutions that do NOT charge for ILL services. At times, we have no choice but to request items from institutions that do charge. If the fees to obtain an item will be excessive, you will be contacted before your request is processed.
The Library's future borrowing privileges from other libraries are jeopardized when Denison patrons do not return materials on time. Therefore, patrons who do not return items on time will be assessed an overdue fine on all past due ILL materials. Fines vary depending on the lending institution.
In the case of lost or "presumed lost" items, the patron will pay the replacement charge imposed by the lending institution. Any questions regarding an ILL fine must be brought to the Cirulation Manager's attention (x5711), not to workers on duty at the Circulation Desk.