Health Services provides primary health care to the currently enrolled Denison student community. Diagnostic and treatment modalities are available. Medical records provided by all entering students allow Denison Health Services to serve as the student's health care provider when on campus. Medical records created during a student's collegiate years will be forwarded to the student's medical provider at home when requested by the student. The "Health Center Fee," a mandatory fee paid every semester, entitles each student to use Denison Health Services as their primary provider. With this fee in place, students are not charged for any "office visit." However, charges can be incurred if the student receives medications, requires laboratory services, in-patient observation services, or has specific procedures or well-physicals performed.
Primary Outpatient Care
Health Services provides diagnostic and treatment facilities for enrolled students.
Registered nurses are available for students who require inpatient care or observation. There is a daily charge for this service. These charge will be posted on the student's account.
Registered nurses provide triage and emergency care 24 hours a day. If the nurse determines that hospital evaluation is indicated, students may be transported to the hospital by the Granville Emergency Squad.
Students may have allergy injections administered at Health Services if the allergist provides complete instructions and the allergy serum. All students must sign Denison's allergy contract agreeing to comply with the policies for receiving injections at our facility. An appointment with a practitioner is required before the first injection every academic year. Injections must be given during regular clinic hours- generally Monday, Wednesday, and Friday afternoons and Tuesday and Thursday mornings. There is a charge for administration of allergy injections.
These services are available at our clinic for students by appointment. It is advisable to schedule well in advance since the number of these appointments are limited on a daily basis. Plan ahead! Well women's services available
- Annual physicals
- Pelvic exams and Pap smears
- Contraception options and education
- Various types of contraception
- Breast health information and exams
- Gardosil vaccinations
- Other women's services available:
- Evaluation and treatment of menstrual irregularities and disorders
- STD testing and treatment
- Pregnancy testing and consultation
- Emergency contraception
- GYN referral as needed
Physical exams for employment, abroad study, athletic participation or other special programs can be performed at Health Services by physicians or a nurse practitioner. There is a charge for most of the physicals. In certain instances, the requesting organization may cover the cost of the exam.
Commonly ordered medications are packaged by a local pharmacy and dispensed to students by the physicians or nurse practitioner. Over-the-counter medications are also available for purchase by students.
Denison University does not have a pharmacy, therefore no prescription insurance plans can be used at the Health Center. Physicians and Nurse Practitioners will write prescriptions for students who notify them that they have prescription coverage. These prescriptions can be filled at any participating pharmacy in the area.
A medical technologist is on duty during regular clinic hours, Monday through Friday. Some testing is done on site, much is sent out to a reference laboratory. Results are received at Health Services by teleprinter, often within 24 hours. If laboratory testing is requested by a physician outside our facility, the test can be performed here with a written order from the physician. Reports will be mailed or faxed to the requesting physician if desired.
There are no x-ray facilities at Health Services. Local outpatient departments or the hospital offer these services.
Denison Health Services carries the following vaccinations/immunizations for students to receive, as ordered by a medical provider.
- Hepatitis B
Charges for the vaccine are posted to the student's account.
You are required by the university to complete a physical examination. This requirement is universal for each entering student. Please complete the health history form and take it with you when you see your health care provider for your examination. We require that you use the form we sent you. Records of completed immunization must be filed with the Health Center in order for you to obtain the key to your room in the residence hall. The immunization policy is designed to safeguard the health of all our students by requiring documentation of the following immunizations with the exact dates (month, day, and year) each was given. Mail the completed form including immunization history to the health Center by July 1st.
All students who attend Denison must follow these directions regarding immunization requirements:
- Take this form with you to your health care provider when you have your physical examination. The fourth and fifth pages of the form, including your record of required immunizations, must be completed and signed by this provider.
- Complete your portion of the five-page health inventory, physical examination and immunization form. You will receive the form in a separate mailing addressed to you and your parents/guardian. The mailing will be marked as "Time Sensitive." You may also download the form on the Denison Home Page found under "New Student Forms".
- You must provide the dates of two (2) measles (rubeola) containing vaccinations after your first birthday.
- A tuberculosis skin test (intradermal PPD) must be completed and results noted if a student answers "yes" to any of the tuberculosis "TB" screening questions noted on the incoming first year health form. If the student cannot take the skin test for medical reasons, they must provide a radiologist's report of a chest x-ray performed within the past year.
- Your physical exam must be within one year of your arrival.
- You must complete the first three pages of the health form.
- Mail the completed form including immunization history to the health center by July 1st. You may fax the form to 740-587-6758 or mail to: Health Services, Denison University, Granville, Ohio 43023
Completed health records must be on file with Health Services before you will be issued the key to your residence hall room.