Environmental Venture Fund
Denison University’s John R. Hunting ’54 Environmental Sustainability Venture Fund exists to help Denison become an innovative leader in campus sustainability by implementing changes in the ways that our community uses its resources.
Funded projects include:
- Campus Community Garden – to create a pilot campus garden to advance awareness and knowledge of food production and sustainable agriculture
- Bike Share Program – to reduce car traffic and provide a more efficient, sustainable, and healthier mode of transportation on campus
- Laundry Exchange – to loan clothes-drying racks to students to reduce use of electric dryers
- Re-usable Water Bottles Campaign – to reduce use of disposable water bottles being used in the Dance Department. The Dance building will be declared a “Disposable Water Bottle Free Zone”
- Shoe Recycling – to promote waste minimization and collect and distribute shoes (through Soles4Souls) to people in need worldwide
- Apartment Composting Program – to cut organic waste in student apartments and create usable compost for campus landscaping projects
- Weatherization Workshop – to decrease energy consumption and train students in home weatherization techniques for use on campus and in the local community
- Bandersnatch Goes Green – to purchase reusable dishware for a popular student-run coffee shop on campus
- Green Model Dorm Room – to promote eco-friendly options in all residence hall rooms on campus. Features of the room include smart power strips, CFL and LED lights, organic sheets, drying racks, green cleaning supplies, Fair Trade foods, and Energy Star appliances.
- Low Flow Fixtures – to reduce water usage and increase student awareness all toilets were equipped with dual-flush valves in Crawford Hall
- Water Bottle Refilling Station – to promote the use of reusable water bottles on campus, two drinking fountains were converted to water bottle refilling stations
- PEAS Rooftop Garde – to create an herb and produce garden on the roof of Curtis Dining Hall.
Denison’s Hunting Venture Fund aspires to make the best use of resources, seek sustainable options, dispose of waste in ways that reduce negative impact and take into consideration the life cycle and environmental impact of materials and products purchased by the college.
The fund supports individuals and organizations that wish to improve the environmental state of Denison’s campus, but lack the financial means to do so. Students, faculty, staff and organizations are encouraged to submit proposals for projects that range from $100 to $5,000 in capital and/or operating costs.
Grant applications are accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis.