Apply for Financial Aid
FAFSA Federal Code: 003042
- Applicant and one of the parents must obtain a federally assigned PIN number at http://www.pin.ed.gov to satisfy the signature requirements for the FAFSA. Applicants who are independent for federal aid, based on federally defined criteria, do not have to submit parental information or have a parental signature on the FAFSA.
- File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov and designate Denison to receive the information by putting in our federal code of 003042. To view a short video of making the data transfer, click HERE.
- Prospective students are encouraged to complete their FAFSA by February 15th to ensure receipt of a tentative need based award prior to April 1st.
- Families with financial circumstances that cannot be submitted on the FAFSA are encouraged to submit a signed letter of explanation to the Financial Aid Office.
Denison University will provide an estimated need based financial aid package for Early Decision Applicants who are accepted. To get an estimated need based financial aid award letter, an applicant must indicate that he or she intends to apply for financial aid on the application for admission. If you would like to apply for need-based financial aid, please submit the Denison Early Decision Financial Aid Application. If you have questions about the need-based financial aid process, fell free to contact the Denison Financial Aid Office at 1-800-DENISON or firstname.lastname@example.org.
To estimate your out-of-pocket costs, use this Estimated Cost Worksheet [lsx].
Students who accept the need based offer and enroll are required to follow the steps below to ensure that the aid awards are finalized and disbursed to their University account:
- After January 1, file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.ed.gov and designate Denison to receive the information by putting in our federal code of 003042.
- Transfer federal tax data filed by the parent(s) and student to the FAFSA on the Web (FOTW) by using the IRS Data Retrieval process.
- If you are unable to use the IRS Data Retrieval Process, you must submit an IRS Tax Transcript for the federal tax data of the parent(s) and student.
- You may request an IRS Tax Transcript online.
- Provide to the Financial Aid Office any requested verification documentation.
- Provide a copy of the final high school transcript or other official documents certifying graduation from high school.
Does Denison require the CSS profile?
No. Denison requires only the FAFSA.
Is there an appeal process if my family has extenuating circumstances that could not be filed on the FAFSA?
Yes, the student and parent(s) can write a letter concerning these circumstances. You may also submit with your letter a Request for Review Form, . The Financial Aid Office may request additional documentation of your letter.
Do I need to re-apply for need-based financial aid each year?
Yes, you must file the FAFSA each year. You and your parent(s) can file the FAFSA for upcoming academic year as early as January 1.
Am I required to report my outside scholarships to the Financial Aid Office?
Yes, if you received need-based financial aid.
How do outside scholarships impact my need-based aid award from Denison?
Outside scholarships usually help to meet the unmet federal need. If federal need has been met, the federal work award can be reduced and the Federal Direct Loan can be adjusted. If the student receives a merit scholarship and an outside tuition benefit, in combination, the two can not exceed the cost of Denison's tuition.
How many semesters can I receive Denison gift aid (Denison's merit scholarships and need-based grants)?
A student may only receive Denison gift aid (merit and grants) in the first eight (8) semesters of enrollment at Denison.
If I defer my admission to Denison for a year, what happens to my need-based financial aid package?
You would have to reapply for any need-based aid that you were awarded with no guarantee that the amount would equal the original need-based package.
More questions? Please e-mail us at email@example.com.