Academic Support & Enrichment Center
The central mission of the Academic Support & Enrichment Center is to enrich and enhance the educational experience of all Denison students and to support faculty-student interaction. The Academic Support & Enrichment Center regularly offers programs and services designed to help students improve their overall academic performance and ultimately assist students in achieving excellence. The staff are available to consult with faculty on issues pertaining to advising and individual student concerns.
- To assist students in maximizing their full academic potential at each stage throughout the undergraduate experience.
- To design and establish mechanisms, both formal and informal, which introduce and promote the principles of effective learning.
- To collaborate with faculty and staff to address issues of academic enhancement and performance concerning individual students and/or campus policies.
- To coordinate the delivery of services, including academic accommodations and auxiliary services, for students who have specific disabilities.
- To empower students to self-advocate as they transition from high school, college, and beyond.
- To support students as they navigate relationships with faculty, staff, parents, and other students.
Programs and Services
- Individualized Academic Support: Upon student request or by faculty referral, the Academic Support & Enrichment Center offers individual counseling and monitoring of a student's academic progress. Professionals in the Center also serve in a supplementary advising role for students by establishing connections with faculty advisors and related university departments where appropriate.
- University Tutoring Program: The University Tutoring Program provides one-on-one tutoring for almost all subjects. All tutors are nominated by faculty in individual academic departments and take part in tutor training and development. Tutoring for individual courses is available at no cost to the student.
- Campus Outreach: Professionals in the Academic Support & Enrichment Center facilitate workshops for student organizations upon request and promote academic achievement through creative programs. The Center also provides support to faculty and administration on individual matters as well as general information about academic issues. Through coordination of the Food For Thought and Faculty/Student Meal Programs, connections between faculty and students are fostered.
- Disability Services: The Academic Support & Enrichment Center coordinates the delivery of services for students with documented disabilities including responding to requests for reasonable and appropriate accommodations.