June Orientation Travel Plans
If you've already registered for the June Orientation program, Denison will provide transportation to students and accompanying family members ONLY when we know that participants are scheduled to arrive—so it is vital that you provide your travel information to us in advance.
Denison offers two summer orientation programs: an optional but highly recommended June Orientation program for which a fee is assessed, and a mandatory no-fee August Orientation program. You will receive information regarding registration for June Orientation upon receipt of your enrollment deposit in the Admissions Office. June Orientation focuses on the academic preparation and course pre-registration of the entering class.
The June Orientation Program is intended for students who are new to the college experience. Please do not register for June Orientation if you are transferring to Denison.
June-O 2013 Sessions
- Session 1: Monday, Tuesday / June 3, 4
- Session 2: Thursday, Friday / June 6, 7
- Session 3: Saturday, Sunday / June 8, 9
- Session 4: Tuesday, Wednesday / June 11, 12
- Session 5: Friday, Saturday / June 14, 15
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the goals of the program?
- To introduce students and their parents to the academic policies, procedures and expectations of Denison, including the General Education Program, majors and minors, study abroad opportunities, internships, career connections and more;
- To pre-register new students for fall semester courses students who attend June Orientation leave with their fall schedule in hand; students who are unable to attend June Orientation will be registered by telephone upon the conclusion of the final June Orientation session.
- To determine advance placement credit, transfer credit and foreign language enrollment levels. Language and Math placement exams will be administered.
- To assist students with the transition to college by establishing a relationship with a mentor team consisting of a temporary faculty advisor and an upper-class student mentor.
How much will it cost?
The fee for students attending June Orientation is $225.00 - which covers room, food and programs. Parents may room on campus for $50 for one parent or $75 for two parents (in one room). If you believe you will receive a Pell Grant, please notify us, as we may be able to waive your fees for June Orientation.
Do I have to stay on campus?
All students will bed and board on campus. Families are invited to do the same. However, some families prefer the amenities of an area motel or inn (our residence halls do not provide air conditioning). Families staying off campus may also purchase individual meals at the campus dining hall. Parents who stay on campus are housed in separate residence halls from students, and may share a room with another guest. Students should be sure to pack alarm clocks!
How do I pay?
Registration on-line must be paid by credit card. If a student is Pell Grant eligible, all June O registration fees are waived. There is a $50 refundable key deposit for each room, student and family, payable upon arrival. Please note that we can accept only cash or checks, as we have no processing facilities for credit or debit cards at the June O registration site.
What do I need to bring?
- Bring an alarm clock! Some of you will have 8:30am appointments with faculty advisors.
- Linens, pillow and towel will be provided. Bring your own toiletries.
- Bring a $50 check for your room key deposit. This check will be returned to you when you return the room key. It is important to return your key so the rooms can be used for the next June-O session.
- Bring your original Social Security card and driver's license or passport to complete Employment Forms. It is best to finish this during June-O whether you intend to work on campus or not. Once it is complete, it is good for all four years at Denison.
Is there transportation to and from the airport?
Denison will provide transportation to and from the airport at specified times. Please carry-on luggage only.
The Denison Shuttle will leave the airport on Day One at 10:00am and 11:00 am. The Shuttle will depart from campus on Day Two at 12:30 pm and 1:00 pm. Book flights accordingly as we must cannot accommodate outside of the scheduled time. Therefore you should not make a return flight departing before 2:30pm.
What if my flight is delayed?
Occasionally flights are delayed due to weather, etc. If you are utilizing the June-O shuttle and your flight arrives after the vans have left to return to Denison, it is your responsibility to obtain transportation to the university. Options include renting a car, taking a cab or obtaining a space on the airport shuttle. The student is responsible for any expenses incurred using alternate transportation services.
Please notify us by calling 740-587-6224 if your flight will be delayed during the weekday June-O sessions or 740-587-0810 for June-O sessions scheduled on the weekend.
Can I arrive by bus?
Should you elect to arrive by bus, Denison will provide transportation to and from the Greyhound Bus Station in Columbus, Ohio. The University van will pick up students and their families around 9:00am on the morning of the first day and will return them to the station by 2:30pm on the second day. Therefore, to be safe you should not make reservations on any bus leaving before 2:30pm.
Do most parents attend?
We plan programs for parents as well as students. We encourage parents to attend, but quite understandably some cannot be away from other obligations at that time of year. There are no programs scheduled for younger siblings.
What if I can't attend?
You will then pre-register for classes during the summer. Please see the Fall Semester Telephone Pre-Registration form. Course registration materials will be sent to you in early June and you will have the option of pre-registering by phone, with assistance from a faculty member, or by mail.
Am I at a disadvantage if I can't make it?
Students who are unable to attend June Orientation are not at a disadvantage in course registration for the fall; the university Registrar reserves a certain number of class spaces for later registration, and these students may register for class by telephone upon the conclusion of the final June Orientation session. Students can attend to several necessary tasks at August Orientation such as obtaining an ID card and taking placement exams.
What happens after June Orientation?
We will be in touch with you through various mailings. You will also receive information from the Cashier's Office, Housing Roommate notifications, and details on August Orientation.
What happens in August?
International Orientation - This program is for international students and for U.S. students who have been living abroad to ease the students' transition to living and studying in the U.S. Wednesday-Saturday, August 21-24.
Paving the Way - Open to all entering students, this program focuses primarily on assisting traditionally under- represented student populations in transitioning to the academic, cultural, and social climate at Denison University. Wednesday-Saturday, August 21-24.
August Orientation - Mandatory for all new (First-Year and transfer) students. You will attend various programs and activities designed to familiarize you with Denison and with the members of your class, and to deal with issues concerning the adjustment to college life. We will send you a schedule of these events in early August. Sunday-Wednesday, August 25-28.
Do Sessions close out?
As the May 17 deadline draws near, it becomes necessary to close sessions if they become full. Please check here for updates to session closings.
When will I get my Denison e-mail address?
Your Denison e-mail address and other account information will be available during June Orientation or mailed to you if you cannot attend June Orientation.