2012 Fall Semester Audition Times
Orchestra/Denison Wind Ensemble
Seating auditions for all students will occur throughout the first week of class. A sign-up sheet will be posted on the bulletin board the first day of class.
- Tuesday, August 28 — 4:30-6:00pm, Violins
- Thursday, August 30 — 4:30-6:00pm, Viola, Cello, Bass
- Thursday and Friday, August 30 & 31 — winds, brass, and percussion
- Audition Requirements for Strings: Brief solo excerpt, at the choice of the student. Scale, 3 octaves, sight reading.
- Audition Requirements for Winds and Percussion: Brief solo excerpt, at the choice of the student and sight reading.
All wind, brass and percussion students should register for Wind Ensemble and indicate their interest in playing in orchestra at the auditions.
The Jazz Ensemble
- Wednesday, August 29 from 4:30-6:00 p.m. in Burke Rehearsal Room. Please report to Burke Rehearsal Room and be ready for your audition at 4:30pm.
Please contact Pete Mills at email@example.com with any questions you may have.
Singers Theater Workshop
- Wednesday, August 29 from 4:30-6:00 p.m. in Burke Recital Hall. Please report to Burke Recital Hall and be ready for your audition at 4:30 p.m.
Please contact Belinda Andrews-Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you may have.
Auditions will be held:
- Saturday, August 25 — 1:30pm - 3:00pm
- Monday, August 27 — 2:30pm - 4:30pm
- Tuesday, August 28 — 1:30pm - 3:30pm
- Wednesday, August 29 — 1:00pm - 3:00pm
Please schedule an audition time slot on line at http://doodle.com/6hn64rihsnehea7a. If you cannot make one of these time slots, please make an appointment by contacting Dr. Cheng. All auditions will take place in Burton 103; no prepared solos are required. If you are interested in joining Chamber Singers, then a prepared solo is required.
We also offer a variety of ensembles that do not require an audition, which include:
- The Jazz Combo
- Latin Jazz Percussion Ensemble
- The Bluegrass Ensemble
- Woodwind Chamber Ensemble
- Flute Ensemble
- String Chamber Ensemble
- Gospel Choir
- Trumpet Ensemble
- Brass Ensemble
- Composition Seminar
- Oboe Ensemble
- Flute Ensemble
- Saxophone Ensemble
- Balinese Gamelan Ensemble
Most freshmen enroll for private lessons and ensembles during June Orientation, however, you can enroll as late as the second week of the term.
- Students registered for private lessons must fill out a student schedule form which can be located in the music office or you can download the form at www.denison.edu/academics/departments/music under the Student Forms tab.
The theory placement exam will be given on Sunday, August 26 at 12:30-1:45 pm in Burton Room 14 (basement). This exam is for anyone who would like to test out of Theory I (MUS 104). It will consist of a written and aural portion.
Please do not hesitate to call us at 740-587-6220 or stop by the Music Office in Burton 101 for questions or assistance.