Gilpatrick Center Advising Activities
The Center holds sessions to alert interested students to opportunities both on the Denison campus and at other institutions for undergraduates and for graduates.
Individual and Small Group Sessions:
- What would you like to be doing professionally in 5 years? 10 years? 15 years?
- Whose job would you like to have?
- What things make you interested in the profession you have identified?
- What have you done to prepare yourself for that profession?
- What can you do academically in the near future to enhance that preparation?
- What course work is appropriate for your interests?
- Will study abroad be important to your education?
- What activities in addition to academic work can help you prepare for the kind of future you envision for yourself?
- How do you stay physically fit?
- How will your work contribute to the broader community?
- Do you find research rewarding? If you haven’t had any research experience, what opportunities do you plan to explore?
- Do you like doing public service? What kinds of public service have you engaged in?
- How have you participated in the Denison community?
- How have you participated in your home community?
- Have you done any teaching? Tutoring? At what levels?
- Do you like teaching?
- What leadership roles have you taken?
- When you graduate from Denison, how will you define success as you look back at your time at Denison?
- How will you define success in your professional life?
- How will you define success in your life?
Specific Writing Assignments:
- Personal Statement
- Professional Statement
- Research Proposal
- Request for a Letter of Affiliation