- The study of classical philology fosters a lucidity of expression and reasoning
- The study of the artistic, intellectual, and political achievements of classical antiquity inspires creativity, critical inquiry, and ethical behavior.
- To acquire competence in the classical languages
- To develop a critical perspective on classical literature
- To study the history and culture of ancient Greece and Rome.
Graduates in classics from Denison have gone on to successful careers in medicine, law, education, government and business, as well as pursuing graduate study. Student acceptance rates for law school among Classics majors nationwide is extremely high.