A crowd of chilly but very happy Denisonians gathered on campus Friday afternoon for the re-dedication of the newly renovated and expanded Ebaugh Laboratories, and even the brisk autumn breeze was no match for the depth of pride in our beautiful new building and the excitement of formally dedicating such an important new element in the teaching and learning of science at Denison.
Speakers during the historic event included Chairman of the Board of Trustees Thomas Hoaglin ’71, President Dale Knobel, Chairman and Chief Investment Officer of the Sherman Fairchild Foundation Walter Burke ’71, Associate Professor and Chair of the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry Peter Kuhlman, and student Louise Carroll ’12, who is a chemistry department fellow.
Burke, who represented the project’s lead donor, The Sherman Fairchild Foundation, described the sheer pleasure he felt in awarding the $5 million gift to Denison that enabled the project, and Hoaglin thanked the project’s other major donors who were inspired by the foundation gift to join in and make the building possible, including the Booth Ferris Foundation, Hollis Smith French ’76 and T. Bondurant French, Trustee Sharon Smith Martin ’65 and J. Landis Martin, Trustee William C. Mulligan ’76 and Harriet Blair Mulligan ’76, Edwin S. Parsons ’41 and Tai D. Shigaki ’44, James B. Summers Jr. ’77 and Sheryl A. Summers, as well as the late Beverly Thomsen Fleischmann ’41 and Robert C. Fleishmann, the late J. Donald Kincaid ’30 and Julianne D. Kincaid, the late Robert H. McCulloch ’47 and Patricia M. McCulloch and the late William B. Snyder ’36 and Laura S. Snyder.
The original Ebaugh Laboratories were built in 1966 and named for William Clarence Ebaugh, chemistry professor from 1917 to 1945. The renovation and expansion, which took 17 months to complete, has significantly updated the original 32,000 square foot facility, while adding more than 19,000 square feet.